Sunday 5 November 2017

Citadel C34 Fire Elemental (rescued)

Due to a number of factors, it's been a while since I last posted - but I have been painting in that time, so I have a backlog of minis to share with you, starting with this one. Before they mutated into Games Workshop, Citadel did some cracking figures in the mid-80's, including this one. I acquired it as part of a job lot, and it had been broken to it 3 (count 'em!) pieces. So - out with the superglue and filler. Fortunately the later Citadel figures had really good solid bases, so this figure was unlikely to fall over and break like so many Asgard figures. After that - the paint job. Basically the idea was that source of the fire elemental would be the base, hence the lighter (hotter) colours being there, and moving up to darker colours until we ended up with a thick black cloud of smoke from its hands. This was more difficult than I imagined, and I think perhaps transition between colours was as successful as I hoped for. I also kept the initial gloss varnish on the figure as it makes it look more fluid on the table top, but it doesn't make it as attractive in photos. I may revisit this figure and apply matt varnish. I still think it's an imposing figure, especially next to the latest recruit for my Amazon army, and I can see it getting plenty of tabletop time. Not bad for a piece that was original destined for the bin!

4 comments:

  1. Great paintjob! I still have the original 4 Citadel elementals, and my fire elemental follows the same colour scheme as yours - hot red body, with a smoke plume in greyish black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment! Great minds think alike... ;)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! And good on you for rehabbing a great figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, to be honest I thought it wouldn't reassemble well enough - but it's amazing what a bit of Superglue will do. I do worry what will happen if it gets knocked over though...

      Delete